June 10, 2018
Stella release 5.1.3 for Linux, MacOS X and Windows is now available.
Fixed crash in OpenBSD when quitting the app, which can also be happening on other systems (no reports yet, but the problem is now fixed for good).
Fixed configure/build scripts to work natively under OpenBSD.
5.0.2 to 5.1: (February 4, 2018)
* Added "Time Machine" mode, which automatically creates save states
in user-defined intervals. The user can navigate back and forth within
these states inside the emulator and the debugger.
* Huge improvements to the disassembly view in the debugger and
disassembly files created:
- reformatting in debugger for better space utilization
- much improved code and data detection
- access tracking and indicators for TIA/IO/RAM adresses in disassembly
- break vector is tracked (if used)
- improved cycle count (page penalties, sums created in disassembly)
- improved handling of instruction masking opcodes (e.g. BIT)
* Fixed change tracking bug during rewind; changes were accumulated
instead of being displayed only for the last rewind step.
* Extended 'rewind' to take a second parameter which allows rewinding
* Added 'unwind' command, which undoes the latest rewind(s)
* Added '<' (unwind) button to debugger.
* Thumbulator support is not conditional any more.
* Moved various developer related settings in new Developer Settings
dialog. These settings now come in two groups (player/developer) and
allow switching all settings at once.
* Don't trap write accesses to the datastream pointers in CDF and BUS.
This fixes -dev.thumb.trapfatal 1.
* Complete rework of TV mode and ystart autodetection. The new
implementation is more robust and reduces startup time.
* Add two "grace lines" of black to the top of the frame when
* Fixed Genesis controller autodetect (Stay Frosty 2, Scramble, etc).
* Fixed a bug in ystart autodetection that could cause screen jumps.
* Fixed several bugs in holdselect, holdreset and holdjoyX commandline
arguments; these now work as expected.
* Fixed bug in TIA collision handling; it is now disabled in VBlank.
* Improve TIA PF collision handling during hblank; this fixes a bug in
* Fixed wrong display of HM values in debugger after 'HMCLR' has been
* Fixed bug with the debugger 'savedis' command in Windows; it wasn't
actually saving the files at all. This has never been reported
before, so I guess it shows how many people use that functionality.
* The debugger 'savedis', 'saverom' and 'saveses' now save files in
a default, user-visible directory (see the documentation for more
information). In the case of 'saveses', the filename is now named
based on the date and time of when the command was entered.
* Fixed bug with saving snapshots in 1x mode; there was graphical
corruption in some cases. Such snapshots also now include any TV
effects / phosphor blending currently in use.
* Fixed regular-sized snapshots when phosphor effect was enabled;
sometimes the image was 'double-blended', resulting in a snapshot that
was too dark.
* Fixed crash when selecting 'CompuMate' as a controller type for a non-
CompuMate ROM; this controller type can no longer be manually
selected, and will be used automatically used for CompuMate ROMs.
* Fixed cheat codes, so 7 digits codes are now accepted as described in
* Fixed swapped ports being displayed wrong in System Logs and debugger.
* Added options to erase the AtariVox/Savekey flash memory, either for
all ROMs or only the current one. Also added a message (configurable)
when the flash memory is accessed.
* Access to the AtariVox/SaveKey can be signaled with a message.
* Added new interface palette 'Light'.
* Frame stats display made transparent. Also it now displays the real
frame rate and if the developer settings group is enabled.
* Improved tab auto-complete in debugger.
* Added conditional traps and savestate creation to debugger.
* Added 'Options...' button to debugger which gives access to the options
menu during debugging.
* Added debugger pseudo-register '_cyclesLo' and '_cyclesHi', which give
the number of CPU cycles that have occurred since emulation started.
* Added debugger pseudo-register '_fcycles', which gives the number of
CPU cycles that have occurred since the frame started.
* Added debugger pseudo-register '_icycles', which gives the number of
CPU cycles of the last instruction.
* Extended debugger 'dump' command to take a second argument, indicating
the end of the range to dump data.
* Improved change tracking; more values are tracked and change tracking
now works in case of a break too.
* Added widgets for trackball and SaveKey/AtariVox controllers.
* Improved emulation of 'FE' bankswitch scheme (no user-visible changes,
but internally the emulation is much more accurate compared to the
real thing). Related to this, improved the debugger support for this
scheme (you can now switch banks in the debugger view).
* Added emulation of 7800 initial RAM values and Pause key.
* Added ROM properties for 'Scramble' ROMs, and updated info for all
"Champ Games" ROMs.
* Added ROM properties for 'Zippy the Porcupine' ROMs, and updated
info for all "Chris Spry (Sprybug)" ROMs.
* Support UNIX style builds (configure / make) on OSX with both
XCode / clang and g++.
* Fixed error when building with uClibc-ng for ARM (thanks to Sergio
* Updated included PNG library to latest stable version.
August 20, 2017
Stella release 5.0.2 for Linux, MacOS X and Windows is now available.
Improved emulation of Trakball controller, eliminating bias in left/ right directions. Thanks to Thomas Jentzsch for the idea and code. Related to this, added 'tsense' commandline argument and associated UI item, to allow changing sensitivity of mouse trackball emulation.
Added preliminary support for multi-threading in the Blargg TV effects code. This is still a WIP; more improvements are coming. Related to this, further optimized the TIA rendering code. Also added 'threads' commandline argument and associated UI item to enable/disable multi-threading. Thanks to Thomas Jentzsch for the bulk of the work in this area.
Blargg TV effects now no longer cut off the right side of the image (by several pixels) in certain cases.
Updated CDF scheme to latest version from Spiceware. In addition, this scheme now supports versioning, so older and newer ROMs will continue to work.
Fixed an annoying bug in Linux, where Alt-Tab'ing out of a window and then back again would pass a 'Tab' key event to the app, which in most cases would navigate to the next UI element.
Fixed potential issue with state file saving and the debugger; under certain circumstances a rewind would give a different state than before (note that the state file format has changed because of this).
Fixed lockups when entering the debugger under certain circumstances.
The debugger 'listtraps' command now shows all traps set, not just the first one(s).
Reverted joystick changes for Decathlon ROMs from last release, as it was added by mistake.
November 21, 2016
Stella release 4.7.3 for Linux, MacOS X and Windows is now available.
Added preliminary support for the 3E+ bankswitching scheme, developed by Thomas Jentzsch.
Fixed HMOVE positioning bug that occurred under certain circumstances. Thanks to Omegamatrix of AtariAge for the bug report and patch to fix the issue.
Added 'trapm', 'trapreadm', 'trapwritem' commands to debugger prompt. These are similar to the non-'m' versions, except that they also trap on all mirrors of the given address.
Fixed bug in debugger 'reset' command; it wasn't resetting the bankswitching, so after a reset the banks were in an undefined state.
Updated UNIX configure script to fix a bug where it fails in cross-compilation under certain circumstances. Thanks to Vlad Zakharov for providing a patch to fix this issue.
Update vom 28.10.2015
Quelle Stella HP:
- Fixed bug when using real paddles plugged into a Stelladaptor 2600-daptor device; the movement was very erratic.
- Fixed small logic error in 'MDM' bankswitching scheme.